Thursday, April 13, 2006

ROI - Important Stuff!

Today just proved my point - Only visionary leaders understand the importance of ROI. As highlighted by Jane Massy c/o ROI institute this afternoon, most don't understand it (which is a pity, really, at this age?!), hence label ROI as "too hard to do" (ignorance is bliss, eh?) and/or simply refuse to implement change management (let's not rock the boat mentalilty). I hope I will never work for such leaders... Need I say more?

I was privileged to have familiarized myself with Kirkpatrick's Model (view more details here and here) and Phillips' ROI Models during my earlier HRD days and I could follow Jane's arguments without feeling inadequate.

You could also read more about ROI by Jack Phillips. Jane also recommends Knowledge Advisor, a tool used to quantify impact of learning interventions on job performance (note, good stuff is never cheap)

Below are some interesting articles I found as well:
- Decoding value
- Measuring the ROI of elearning
- Five steps for valuing UXD

PS: Gutsy indeed for some people to think that they could master the art of ROI over a short period of time; HRD consultants have taken years to master this (mind you, people in the know could sniff if you are just 'smoking your way through', so don't put yourself in a precarious position and lose all credibility ... Or what's left of it, ha!)

No comments: